Sunday, March 30, 2014

Body scoring - there's an app for that!


Finally, a decent day for pictures and no blankets!  (That is a blanket rub on her shoulder.)  I wasn't sure if Essa would look any better after 10 days but I think she does.  Her ribs are less visible than in the first picture, her hindquarters are starting to fill in a bit, and the vertebrae at her tailhead are disappearing.

She pretty much gets hay whenever she runs out now, just 3 or 4 flakes at a time so I can keep track.  I'm not really worried about the refeeding syndrome anymore.

I found this Android app for Henneke body scoring.  It lets you rate each area on a sliding scale and calculates the final score.  It includes descriptions and diagrams for each number.  Very handy!

Horse Body Condition Scoring

There's also one for "weighing" based on body measurements - it has to be better than the weight tape...

Estimate Horse Weight

On Thursday I'll start her on grain and beet pulp, which I'm sure will be a big hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment